The Universal Fluid
- It permeates all of Creation and is the most
primitive substance in the Cosmos. It has special properties of
which we cannot understand or know at this time.
- It is the intermediary between spirit and matter.
- It is fluidic and is subject to innumerable combinations with
matter, which together give it properties of which apart from it, it
would not have.
- In our present state of existence we can only feel and see some of
the variations of the universal fluid, an example being electricity.
- It is the vehicle upon which thoughts and feelings can be carried
(examples: telepathy, telekinesis, and prayer).
- It is the vehicle that allows for spirits to communicate between
themselves in the spirit world and, allows them to communicate with
humans, in the material world, and vice versa.
- The universal fluid is also involved as a force in facilitating
spiritual healing (the “laying on hands,” magnetic passes, and the
- Those persons who have strong faith (and with the force of their
will power and strong desire) when directed towards acts of
goodness, unconsciously use the universal fluid to perform what many
would call miracles but, are nothing more then the exercise of a
- What Spiritism calls the vital principle (which allows things to
become what we would call “alive” and have action and movement)
originates from the universal fluid. The amount of vital principle
in an organic being varies. This fluid can be transmitted from one
individual to another through the force of a being’s will. Some may
be more able to do this then others. Upon the physical death of an
organic being, the vital fluid returns to its original source, the
universal fluid. (Note: the vital principle is not the spirit, or